Website content writing is a challenging job for any content writer. There are various pages that comprise a website and each page demands something different. It is important to know the art of writing each and every page of a website effectively. Website is the source of earning for most of the website owners and they will settle for nothing less than the best output from the content writer. So I thought I would share some of the tips that will help you in writing web pages.
What is a Website?
A website (also spelled Web site is a collection of related web pages, images, videos or other digital assets that are addressed relative to a common Uniform Resource Locator (URL), often consisting of only the domain name, or the IP address, and the root path (‘/’) in an Internet Protocol-based network. A web site is hosted on at least one web server, accessible via a network such as the Internet or a private local area network.
What is a Web Page?
A web page is a document, typically written in plain text interspersed with formatting instructions of Hypertext Markup Language (HTML, XHTML). A web page may incorporate elements from other websites with suitable markup anchors.
- Definition: The homepage (often written as home page) is the URL or local file that automatically loads when a web browser starts or when the browser’s “home” button is pressed. One can turn this feature off and on, as well as specify a URL for the page to be loaded.
- The term is also used to refer to the front page, webserver directory index, or main web page of a website of a group, company, organization, or individual.
- Type of Content: Short, simple yet attractive
- Word Count: Should be low as only the most relevant information has to be included
- Hyperlinking: Needs links to the relevant pages.
- Matter: Should address the issues related to the niche and must be solution oriented.
- Definition: The About us section or page is where a business or organization often publishes an overview and/or a brief history of their entity. If they wish to publish a lot on their history, they sometimes have a separate “history” section. Often about us pages are used to attempt to connect with potential customers, and things such as the entities mission statement are published there.
- Type of Content: Elaborate, Article styled
- Word Count: May be high depending on the need of the client.
- Hyperlinking: There is no need to hyperlink. Somethomes there are sites that use a call to action such as Contact Us though.
- Matter: Should make the readers believe that the site is authentic and they can rely upon it for their online business. Awards and other accolades should be included.
- Definition: The Contact Us section is defined as the reference section whereby the web visitors can get in touch with the company either by filling up relevant information in the forms or by going through the company address and other contact details found in this page.
- Type of Content: Very short. Just an introduction.
- Word Count:Very low. Hardly 2-3 sentences required.
- Hyperlinking: Some of the websites offer live chatting facility with their customer care representatives. While there are others that link with the Ordering page and the Products/Services page.
- Matter: Should be just an introduction. Often contains creation of tables and forms.
- Definition: A section that is of utmost for all online shops. It is just like the showcases of any shop. This section displays the products and their particular information. Often prices and some information about the delivery and mode of payment are also mentioned.
- Type of Content: Varies from one business to other. But use of bullets for displaying the information is popular.
- Word Count: Medium. No sentence should be elongated unnecessarily.
- Hyperlinking: Some of the websites create different pages for different types of products/services for these there are links done to the product/service names to take the surfers to the required information page.
- Matter: Benefits oriented. Try and solve the problems of the readers. Mould all features into benefits.
Only a brief introduction is required. Mostly the forms and designing work is done with this page.
- Definition: People always like to take reference from people before they venture into a major decision. If these are some noted names then it adds cherry on top of the cake. Testimonials page contains experiences from the satisfied customers of the company. They give their insights into how the different products/services have helped them.
- Type of Content: Mainly compiling and at times shortening the content.
- Word Count: Short. Only relevant lines to be kept.
- Hyperlinking: No need.
- Matter: Mainly compilation of the most relevant lines.
- Definition: The section that tries to address the most frequently asked questions. These questions may range from the company details to the product/service details. These are generally developed after detailed market research and understanding the psyche of the visitors.
- Type of Content: Utility oriented. The answers should state only what is needed. No promotional materials should be there.
- Word Count: Low
- Hypelinking: Only if there are answers from which you can link to the relevant pages.
- Matter: Very short answers containing only what is the most relevant words.